Community Network for Empowerment (CoNE) is a network of community based organisations/groups of people who use drugs formally registered at the state level under the Society Act, Government of Manipur in the month of January 2012.
The network was officially launched on 23rd June 2011 by the Speaker of Manipur Legislative Assembly & Chairman of Legislative Forum on HIV (LFA), Project Director, Manipur State AIDS Control Society (MSACS), Project Director, project ORCHID, CEO, PRAXIS- Institute of Participatory Practices and other government officials in presence of more than 500 people who use drugs and Civil Societies.
All formally registered community based organizations of people using drugs across districts of Manipur are members of CoNE. At present there are 13 CBOs including one female based CBO as members. CoNE has a 91 member general body nominated by CBOs and democratically elected 27 Executive Committee members and 5 Office Bearers.
An Advisory Committee comprises of Lawyers, Human rights activist, Physicians, PUD, Religious Leader, Senior Citizen and NGO Representatives, Academician etc. is lending support and advice to the leadership team of CoNE by bringing an external perspective to assist in the development of policy and practice and guiding key processes.
The organizational vision, mission, objectives and strategies are evolved based on series of consultations conducted across the districts with the active participation of people who use drugs and other stakeholders actively involved in the issues of PUD.
Empowered People Who Use Drugs leading a healthy & dignified life
To promote a self sustainable network owned by people who use drugs (PUD) working for reduction in stigma, harassment, and discrimination to improve the standard living of PUD
The objectives for which the Network is established are (in no order of priority)
1. To strengthen all the CBOs of the Network through capacity building for improving the effectiveness.
2. To promote and protect the health and human rights of the people who use drugs in the state.
3. To reduce harassment, stigma and discrimination on the people who use drugs.
4. To mobilize resources for making the network self-sustainable, effective, efficient and well- funded organisation which is primarily accountable to its membership.
5. To advocate for and promote the provision of relevant and high quality services, to people who use drugs throughout Manipur
6. To facilitate promotion of multiple livelihood options for people who use drugs across the state
7. To improve the participation and involvement of the people who use drugs in influencing the decision making at policy level
8. To advocate formulation of community friendly drug policy for the state of Manipur.
9. To strengthen the network by building linkages and partnership with external agencies and like-minded organizations
10. To promote socially acceptable behavior pattern among the people who use drugs.
11. To promote the health seeking behavior among the people who use drugs.
12. To collect and build evidence for advocating policies that contributes to the well being of the people who use drugs.
13. To advocate for providing a special emphasis to female who use drugs in tune with the above mentioned objectives with a view to practice gender equity & equality and also bridging the gap in every aspect.