HEP C BC Hepatitis C Education and Prevention Society
HepCBC is a non-profit organization run by and for people infected and affected by hepatitis C. Our mission is to provide education, prevention and support to those living with HCV.
IMPLEMENTATION OF MISSION
In the course of fulfilling this mission, HepCBC regularly interfaces with governmental agencies and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) at local, provincial, regional, federal, and international levels. This includes, but is not limited to, activities which promote the wellbeing and rights of HCV patients such as:
- monitoring HCV policies and their implementation
- communicating with government officials, ministry or agency employees, or NGO representatives about the hepatitis C epidemic and HCV patients’ experiences and concerns
- cooperating with ministries, agencies and NGOs in various HCV-related initiatives and projects
SUPPORT FOR THOSE WHO
- have recently been diagnosed as HCV+;
- are going through treatment;
- are (pre- or post-) transplant liver recipients;
- have long-term, chronic, or advanced hepatitis C;
- are contemplating HCV treatment or research trial;
- want to discuss alternative treatments for chronic HCV such as diets, supplements, or exercise;
- have other health complications due to HCV;
- want to support a HCV+ friend or family member.
HEALTH PROMOTION ACTIVITIES
- Education and prevention activities include a lending library, this website, publications, outreach to prisoners, baby-boomers, and youth, and presentations to community groups.
- Awareness and anti-stigma activities include parades, World Hepatitis Day memorials, health fairs, walks, and marathon teams.
- Support activities include phone/email referrals, pamphlets for recently-diagnosed, and support groups.
- We partner with national and international groups.
- We provide patient and caregiver input to Canadian drug review and Pharmacare coverage process.